Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Love and Sacrifice

Someone emailed me this story and it got to me.

Two teenagers going over 100 mph..

female: Slow down. I'm scared.
male: No, this is fun.
female: No, it's not. Please, it's too scary!
male: Then tell me you love me.
female: Fine, I love you. Slow down!
male: Now give me a BIG hug.
*female hugs him*
male: Can you take my helmet off & wear it yourself? It's bugging me. .


In the paper the next day:
A motorcycle crashed into a building because of break failure. Two people were on it, but only one survived. The truth was that halfway down the road, the guy realized that his breaks broke, but he didn't want to let the girl know. Instead, he had her say she loved him & felt her hug one last time, then had her wear his helmet so that she would live even though it meant that he would die.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! this story make me scared!

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

They shouldn't have ride in the first place if the pillion passenger happened to have no helmet at all.

In a real situation, I think it would be difficult to swap helmet (or as in the story portrayed, helmet transferred to the passenger) in the event of brake failure as the time frame to do it is so tight. As a rider, I'd rather focus on working with the brake than the removal of the helmet. It is a nice story with cinematic concept but in practice would be very difficult to apply to.

It appears to me that the writer of the short story is non-motorcyclist. We both know that unlike a four-wheel motor vehicle, motorcycle operates a separate front and rear brake. In the event that the rear brake fail, there will always be a front brake to be used, and this is applicable vice versa. Unless otherwise, the motorcycle was already poorly-maintained and only operates with the rear brake.

No offense meant. I'm not here to argue with the story. It's just that I was trying to analyze the technical side of it. The story had been circling around as chain email with "brakes" and "breaks" being used interchangeably.

Nevertheless, I found the story so touching and worthy to be passed around... ;)